Virginia Movers & Warehousemen's Association

Performace Standards of Insurance Certificate of Public Convenience
Mover's Tariff Claim Settlement Guidelines  



The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) regulates the moving industry in Virginia. They regulate and control all household goods carriers doing business in the Commonwealth in all matters relating to their performance of their duties as such carriers and their rates and charges.

The DMV requires that all rates and charges shall be filed with them and subject to their approval.

The Mover’s tariff (catalog of rates and charges) may be filed individually or as a group. The DMV is responsible to correct any abuses in the moving industry in Virginia.

Back to Top


Standards of Insurance

The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) mandates that all certificated Movers performing moving services in the Commonwealth have a minimum amount of insurance for Public Safety and Cargo protection in force. All household goods carriers shall be covered by an insurance policy or bond. No certificated household goods carrier or a permitted household goods carrier can operate without coverage on file at the DMV. You may check this link for more information.

DMV Motor Carrier Services

The minimum amount of insurance required by DMV for Public Liability (Bodily Injury and Property coverage) is $750,000.00. However, most policies are based on a $1,000,000.00 since it is required by the Department of Transportation in order to handle items such as lawn mowers and automobiles on the moving van. 

The minimum amount of insurance for Cargo coverage is $50,000.00. The rates in the Mover's Tariff includes the Standard amount of liability for cargo which is $.60 per pound per article. The Customer can acquire a higher level of coverage for their shipment if their Mover has an Additional Available Coverage program with their insurance carrier.  Availability of this program should be presented at the time of the Estimate and the costs will be shown on the Estimate and the Bill of Lading issued by VMWA.

Strict standards are required for maximum protection of the Consumer of moving services in Virginia and for Public Safety.

Back to Top


Certificate of Fitness

Mover’s operating authority is called a Certificate of Fitness. They must have this operating authority in order to offer moving services on shipments that move 31 miles or more within the state of Virginia.

Use this link to ascertain that a Mover has a current Certificate with DMV.

Certified Movers per DMV

A Permit is issued for Movers who offer moving services on shipments that are 30 miles or less.

Virginia’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) grants all operating authority or license to the Movers performing moving services in Virginia.

Back to Top


Mover's Tariff

All of Virginia’s certificated Movers (restricted Common carriers) are required to have available for Public inspection their Tariff which contains the approved rates and charges.

Virginia’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) stipulates that there shall be no changes to the tariff without a 30 day written notice to them.

Moving services for shipment that are transported 31 miles or more are required by law to be rated with the Mover’s tariff which includes their published rates and charges. Tariff rules govern the operation and the normal day-to-day moving services plus it includes the particular rates and charges associated with the services.

The main reason for the existence of the Virginia Movers and Warehousemen Association (VMWA) is to facilitate this relationship between the Regulators and the Movers. Tariff publication is the essence of the Movers relationship with VMWA.

Individual Movers grant VMWA a Power of Attorney, which gives them the ability to publish rates and charges for their account in the VMWA published Tariff.

Back to Top


Claim Settlement Guidelines

Consumers have thirty days (30) to file a claim with their Mover from the actual delivery date of their shipment. Failure to file the claim within the 30-day limit means that the Mover will not accept the claim. Settlement of the claim is dependent on the type of coverage selected. The Bill of Lading is the document that contains the actual type of coverage that was applicable for the shipment.

Movers must acknowledge the receipt of the claim to the Claimant within 30 days. Upon receipt of the claim from the Claimant, the Mover must pay, decline, or make a firm compromise settlement offer in writing to the Claimant within 120 days after the receipt of the claim.

If for any reason, settlement is not made with the normal period, the Mover must notify the Claimant every 30 days to advise the status of their claim. The Claimant has up to two (2) years to file a suit against the Mover. The suit period starts with the date the Mover disallowed the claim.

Back to Top